Dr. Bertrand Fouks
Postdoctoral Marie Curie Fellow
May 2021 - present: MSCA fellow on the funded project: "How Transposable Elements drive the Emergence of Phenotypic Innovations (TEEPI)". Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity, University of Münster
August 2020 - April 2021: Postdoctoral position on how sociality has arisen in insects, comparative genomics of Blattodea insect order. Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity, University of Münster
May 2018 – May 2020: Visiting Researcher in the Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo
October 2014 – October 2015: Postdoctoral position on genomic analyses in the genus Apis at Social Insect laboratory of Dr. Olav Rueppell, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro , USA. Project funded by NIH
- 2010-2014: PhD entitled “Behavioural and social immunity in an eusocial insect, the bumblebee Bombus terrestris”, in the Institute for Biology, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Germany. Disputation date: 15/05/2014
- 2008-2009: MSc (2nd year) in Insect Sciences (University Francois Rabelais Tours, France)
- 2006-2007: MSc (1st year) in Ethology (University of Paris 13, France)
- 2002-2006: BSc in Evolutionary Biology (University of Poitiers, France)
- Evolution of Sociality
- Evolution of Recombination
- Evolutionary Ecology of Plant-Pollinator interactions
- Behavioural Immunity
- Fouks, B., Brand, P., Nguyen, H. N., Herman, J., Camara, F., Ence, D., ... & Rueppell, O. (2021). The genomic basis of evolutionary differentiation among honey bees. Genome Research, gr-272310.
- Fouks B, Wagoner KM (2019). Pollinator Parasites and the Evolution of Floral Traits. Ecology & Evolution, 9(11), 6722-6737.
- Yousefi B, Fouks B (2019). The presence of a larval honey bee parasite, Ascosphaera apis, on flowers reduces pollinator visitation to several plant species. Acta Oecologica, 96: 49-55.
- Fouks B, Robb EG, Lattorff HMG (2019). Role of Conspecifics on behavioural Avoidance of Contaminated Flowers by Bumblebees. Current Zoology, 65(4), 447-455.
- Rueppell O, Kuster R, Miller K, Fouks B, Collazo J, Rubio Correa S, Phaincharoen M, Tingek S, Koeniger N (2016). A New Metazoan Recombination Rate Record and Consistently High Recombination Rates in the Honey Bee Genus Apis Accompanied by Frequent Inversions but Not Translocations. Genome Biology and Evolution, 8(12): 3653-3660.
- Fouks B, Lattorff HMG (2016). Contrasting evolutionary rates between social and parasitic bumblebees for three social effect genes. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 4:64.
- Sadd BM, Barribeau SM, Bloch G, … , Fouks B, … , Worley KC (2015). The genomes of two key bumblebee species with primitive eusocial organization. Genome Biology, 16: 76.
- Larsen J, Fouks B, Bos N, d’Ettorre P, Nehring V (2014). Variation in nestmate recognition ability among polymorphic leaf-cutting ant workers. Journal of Insect Physiology, 70: 59-66.
- Fouks B, Lattorff HMG (2014). Comparison of two molecular diagnostic tools for the quantification of Crithidia bombi, a parasite of bumblebees. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 150:191-197.
- Fouks B, Lattorff HMG (2013). Social scent marks do not improve avoidance of parasites in foraging bumblebees. Journal of Experimental Biology, 216: 285-291.
- Fouks B, Lattorff HMG (2011). Recognition and Avoidance of Contaminated Flowers by Foraging Bumblebees (Bombus terrestris). PLoS ONE, 6: e26328.
- Fouks B, d'Ettorre P, Nehring V (2011). Brood adoption in the leaf-cutting ant Acromyrmex echinatior: adaptation or recognition noise? Insectes Sociaux, 58: 479-485.