Dr. Mark C. Harrison
Postdoctoral Research Associate and Principle Investigator
Room: Hüfferstrasse 1a, room 3
- Comparative genomics
- Evolution of complex traits in insects, especially in Blattodea
- Evolution of eusociality in insects
- Evolution of ageing
- Genomic innovations underlying the evolution of termite sociality (DFG project number 433073542), in collaboration with Dino McMahon (McMahonLab), since April 2020. Responsible PhD student: Alina Mikhailova.
- DieTerm (HFSP), Defying the reproduction-maintenance trade-off: role of Diet in long-lived Termite reproductives, since July 2018. In collaboration with Mireille Vasseur-Cognet, Erich Bornberg-Bauer and others. Co-supervised with Alice Seguret
- Sociogenomics in Blattodea (ANR/DFG) - Genomics of the evolution of subsociality in cockroaches, since 2020. In collaboration with Erich Bornberg-Bauer, Frederic Legendre amd Philippe Grandcolas. Responsible PostDoc: Alun Jones
- SoLong (DFG FOR 2281), comparative genomics of the molecular basis of ageing in social insects (2016 - 2022). Responsible PostDoc: Elias Dohmen
- The role of selection in the emergence of caste-biased genes in termites (MSc thesis). MSc student: Sarah Rinke-Stack, since November 2021.
- Effects of sociality and ageing on selection in termites (research module). Erasmus student: Melih Yildiz, September 2021 - December 2021.
- Molecular footprints of sociality in blattodean genomes (BSc thesis). BSc student: Lea Steinbach, since March 2022.
- Judith Ryll - "Influence of Sociality and Selection on Blattodean Genomes." BSc thesis, August 2019
- Jan Berghöfer - "Annotation and Analysis of Ionotropic Receptors in Blattodea." MSc thesis, June 2019
- Lukas PM Kremer - "Dynamics of Gene Families Implicated in the Evolution of Termite Eusociality." MSc thesis, July 2017
I am responsible for two MSc advanced courses and two MSc research modules:
- Biocomputing 1: Python for beginners.
- Biocomputing 2: Python for advanced students.
- Evolutionary Genomics
- Biological Data Analysis
I also regularly teach in the following modules:
- Molecular Phylogenetics (MSc advanced module) - I teach a practical on "Molecular evolution and selection"
- Computational analysis of transcriptomes and proteomes (MSc advanced module) - I teach a practical on "Intro to Genomics and Transcriptomics"
- Animal Evolutionary Ecology (BSc module) - I give a lecture on "Ageing in animals - evolutionary and ecological considerations" and supervise student projects.
Scientific Career and Education
- 05/2018 - present: lecturer (wissenschaftlicher Assistent) at the Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity, University of Münster
- 05/2016 - 04/2018: Postdoc at the Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity, University of Münster
- 10/2012 - 04/2016: PhD in Evolutionary Biology at University of Leicester, UK with Dr Rob Hammond and Dr Eamonn Mallon. Titel: "The influence of ploidy-specific expression on selection." https://lra.le.ac.uk/handle/2381/38035)
- 10/2010 - 09/2012: MSc Biology (Biodiversity) at the Ruhr University Bochum, Germany. Master thesis with Prof. Florian Leese, title: "The application of next generation sequencing technology in phylogeography and population genetics: A test case using Antarctic brittle stars."
- 10/2007 - 10/2010: BSc Biology, Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Germany.
- Harrison MC, Dohmen E, George S, Sillam-Dusses D, Seite S, Vasseur-Cognet M. "Complex regulatory role of DNA methylation in caste-specific expression of a higher termite" Open Biology, 2022.
- Séité S*, Harrison MC*, ..., Bornberg-Bauer E, Vassseur-Cognet M. "Lifespan prolonging mechanisms and insulin upregulation without fat accumulation in long-lived reproductives of a higher termite" Communications Biology, 2022.
- Harrison MC, Niño LMJ, Rodrigues MA, Ryll J, Flatt T, Oettler J, Bornberg-Bauer E. "Gene Coexpression Network Reveals Highly Conserved, Well-Regulated Anti-Ageing Mechanisms in Old Ant Queens" Genome Biology and Evolution, 2021.
- Séguret, A, Harrison MC, ..., Paxton, RJ. "Transcriptomic signatures of ageing vary in solitary and social forms of an orchid bee" Genome biology and evolution, 2021.
- He S, Sieksmeyer T, Che Y, Esparza Mora MA, Stiblik P, Banasiak R, Harrison MC, Šobotník J, Wang Z, Johnston PR, McMahon DP. "Evidence for reduced immune gene diversity and activity during the evolution of termites" Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 2021.
- Harrison MC, Chrenyshova AM, Thompson GJ. "No obvious transcriptome-wide signature of indirect selection in termites" Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 2020.
- Harrison MC, Mallon EB, Twell D and Hammond RL. "Deleterious mutation accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana pollen genes: a role for a recent relaxation of selection" Genome Biology and Evolution, 2019.
- Bornberg Bauer E, Harrison MC, Jongepier E. "The first cockroach genome and its significance for understanding development and the evolution of insect eusociality" (editorial) Journal of Experimental Zoology Part B, 2018.
- Harrison MC, Arning N, Kremer LPM, ..., Bornberg-Bauer E, ..., Schal C. "Expansions of key protein families in the German cockroach highlight the molecular basis of its remarkable success as a global indoor pest" Journal of Experimental Zoology Part B, 2018.
- Harrison MC*, Jongepier E*, Robertson HM, ..., Belles X, Korb J, Bornberg-Bauer E. "Hemimetabolous genomes reveal molecular basis of termite eusociality". Nature Ecology and Evolution, 2018.
- Price J, Harrison MC, Hammond RL, Adams S, Gutierrez-Marcos, JF, Mallon, EB. "Alternative splicing associated with phenotypic plasticity in the bumble bee Bombus terrestris". Molecular Ecology, 2018.
- Lopez-Ezquerra A, Harrison MC, Bornberg-Bauer E. "Comparative analysis of lincRNAs in insect species" BMC Evolutionary Biology, 2017.
- Harrison MC, Hammond RL, and Mallon EB. "Reproductive workers show queenlike gene expression in an intermediately eusocial insect, the buff-tailed bumble bee Bombus terrestris" Molecular ecology, 2015.
* Equal contributions
Manuscripts in prep
- Fouks B*, Harrison MC*, Mikhailova AA, ..., Benoit JB, Bornberg-Bauer E, Tober SS. "Live-bearing cockroach genome reveals convergent evolutionary mechanisms linked to viviparity in insects and beyond"
- Post F, Bornberg-Bauer E, Vasseur-Cognet M, Harrison MC. "Long-lived queens of a higher termite have more effective defence against transposon invasion than sterile workers"